1/2/16

Felty Holiday Bowls


Since I'm still enamored with needle felting, the challenge was on to find a new small gift or ornament to share with co-workers and friends this holiday season. I love the inspiration of working on small, handwork goodies while listening to audiobooks or just relaxing in the evening. If there can be a kitty on my lap at the same time: bonus!


Last year's gifts were felted Lake Superior stones and the year before, fairy sparkle felted acorns nestled in hand-gathered Canadian forest caps. They were all hard to part with. 
Many years ago I saw a tiny felted ring bowl for a wedding gift. It was signed with the couple's initials and a little heart. I never forgot it, and since I have a general bowl/container obsession anyway, I researched how to make needle felted bowls. 





Several people mentioned using styrofoam balls to get the shape started, so that's what I did. Worked like a charm. It's important to keep flipping the roving  as you work it, so it doesn't become permanently attached to the ball. Some of the styrofoam will crumble and attach to your work, but I found that if I kept felting, it fell off or disappeared into the wool. Once the bowl shape was somewhat established, I just worked it in my hand, particularly around the rim.





Near the end I added angelina fibers and embroidery, plus beads to add some bling. The felted bowls are lovely just plain, soft and warm, but I can't help myself.


What will next year's felting bring? There's a new yarn shop in town, so it seems likely that roving will continue to make its way into my supply stash. Hoping 2016 will be the most creative year ever.



11 comments:

  1. Fabulous! Makes me want to ice dye roving and try some!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful!! I saw these on FB and had to check them out- really lovely work! ")

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great idea. I have been planning to do some felting in the new year. These have the look of wet felting. gjeneve@gmail.om

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are delicious. I would love to know how you crated them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. beautiful-each a piece of art!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love these!! So cute and colorful

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love these!! So cute and colorful

    ReplyDelete
  8. LOVE! So creative. I hope your coworker enjoys theirs. You inspire me

    ReplyDelete
  9. IVE JUST STARTING FELTING AND CANT STOP LOVE IT

    ReplyDelete
  10. LOVE these, thank you for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete